Art Quilts Around The World Challenge: Medieval
This is a Christmas gift. It began as a drawing I did for a logo contest at my hair dresser job nationally for Cost Cutters/Regis. It went no where with them but I still loved the image and thought it would make a cute portrait quilt. I'm into the whole pop art theme and designed the coloring and fabric placement similar to the last posted quilt for my Facebook art quilt challenge.
I drew it small for the contest then enlarged it to more quilt friendly size. I finished it still small at 11' x 12.5." As I am sewing this project Pantone, the color gods!, declared their 2018 Color of the Year was a purple/violet color and this was the color I was trying to use as the prominent color in this project. I say trying because I soon realized I have very little purple in my stash especially stripes which I wanted for my background. I also want to use fabrics in my stash and not shop for more fabric.
I ended up using purple for the embellishments-purple loose glitter on the eyelids, purple glitter poster paint from The Dollar Tree on the browbones/pink glitter poster paint on the mouth, a mini purple rhinestone on the nose and a few purple beads for an earring.
I can see this design having other uses for future projects-enlarged even more, changing the hairstyle and, of course, changing the fabrics.
This was quick and fun and I made it in between a huge time consuming project but Christmas can not wait!
I have not posted in a while since I had a busy month of quilt classes, attending an area quilt show, prepping for my 4th visit to teach at the International Quilt Festival in Houston and actually traveling and attending the IQF Houston show. The stress of deadlines are over!! I started this little whimsical quilt before the Houston show and finished it after I returned home. It started with the outside border fabric which I found in September at Bungalow Quilt Shop of Ripon WI while I was attending the WI Quilt Expo. Since I am a hairdresser I am attracted to anything with hairstyles on it. I love the 1960s and retro big hair-think the movie "Hairspray" with Ricki Lake!!. I had originally planned to use colorful fabric markers and "color" in the hair motifs similar to a coloring book design. After trying a few hairstyles with the markers I didn't like it and decided to use the fabric as is and add color from the hair, lips and inner border fabrics.
I saw there were three different hairstyles in the border print and I drew them in the same size scale as my Whimsical Selfie Quilt pattern. I added a simple shift dress for each lady. I picked pink, yellow and orange for the hair to have fun colors to balance the neutrality of the border fabric. I gave the ladies crazy lipstick color as well. As I was working on this quilt I decided the hair needed some black bows a la the 1960s. I decided the yellow middle lady did not need a bow but added a subtle brooch idea to the lower neckline for balance
This was a fun easy enough project and I plan to turn it into a pattern. I will make another version with "normal" hair color and a lipstick outer border. I will need until early 2018 to design the pattern.
For embellishments I used a green glitter nail polish on the eye lids, some orange glitter poster paint on the lips, a green bead for a wart on the chin, orange loose glitter on the hair, a black plastic spider on the hat band and a few slivery rhinestones for the background. I searched 2 to 3 times in my embellishment stash for a non-shiny purple trim for the dress neckline but I had nothing. I will still keep looking and add it later. Happy Halloween!