This project began with a Moda charm pack I purchased last fall. I was able to start the quilt last week. I had make a very small portrait quilt with the woman having a heart shaped face, a heart shaped hair silhouette and a heart shaped dress neckline. I was headed in that direction including the heart shaped mouth which I used a few years back for the Day of the Dead quilt which was likeable. I have been watching, on PBS, plenty of British historical TV shows and the fashions influenced me as well as the Queen of Hearts character from the Alice in Wonderland book and movie. Throw in a little Steampunk fashions and I'm ready to draw up a design! I was on a quilt retreat last weekend and made sure this quilt lad priority!
I did a Pinterest search and discovered the cool queen-like collar as well as the dramatic eye makeup. The Queen of Hearts played by Helene Bohnam Carter in the Johnny Depp movie had very thin eye brows so my Queen got skinny brows too! I decided to make the quilt with six 5" squares wide and eight squares tall. I arranged the creams, reds, grays and a few blacks symmetrical with a mirror image. Since a charm pack has 42 squares I added a few dotted charm squares from another Moda pack and a few rotary cut batiks. I quilted the quilt with red thread for the dress and collar; variegated white/red/black thread for the background; variegated red/black thread for the hair and lights for the skin.
I did a lot of embellishments on this quilt:
1. The crown has beads on the peaks and a felt heart button in the middle.
2. The hair has red and white chunky nail polish.
3. The eyes have brown Drewent Inktense pencils to make the rises brown and a Pigma MIcron brown pen to add details. There is chunky red bling from Target on the lids and loose silver glitter/glue as eyeliner. A dab of white fabric paint for the eye reflection.
4. The cheeks have iridescent nail polish and red buttons sewn on them.
5. The mouth has chunky red nail polish to define the heart shape.
6. The collar has red metallic leather rick rack recently purchased at Target which is very fun and exciting to me! It was easy to work with and machine stitch to the collar.
7. The sleeves have a red/white trim on the band and another red/white trim as a bow on the outer edges.
8. The dress has red machine stitched hearts on he bodice as well as red buttons on the seam lines.
9. The ears have repurposed beads for earrings.
10. The background has red rhinestones glued on to it.
11. A red Pigma Micron pen used to draw a small heart spaced mole near one of the eyes.
This is a close up on the face and it is so pretty and blingy!
This is a close up view of the dress trims, buttons and rick rack.
Happy Valentine's Day to you!