Art Quilts Around The World Challenge: Nursery Rhymes

My Facebook art quilt group Art Quilts Around The World has it's reveal today. The theme is nursery rhymes with a back story or plot twist. I chose Mary Had a Little Lamb and the lamb was co-dependent and that's why she followed Mary to school!! Haha!! I decided to make Mary a high school student with a cute fit and flare dress and petticoat, leggings, slouch sox and Doc Martin boots! I selected the local Menominee high school colors of maroon and gold for the color scheme of Mary's outfit. Locally anyone supporting the local high school wears a maroon "M" on the front of their dress/tee shirt etc. The "M" could also represent Mary's first name initial. The lamb was created by me Googling lamb clip art since I didn't really know what a lamb looks like. For the fleece I used quilt batt-not "as white as snow" but I loved the fuzzy texture! I thread painted CoDA.org on the lamb's body to share about the national organization which helps people (lambs?!) with co-dependency. I had fun stitching the details of Mary's garment especially the boot details.

My Facebook art quilt group Art Quilts Around The World has it's reveal today. The theme is nursery rhymes with a back story or plot twist. I chose Mary Had a Little Lamb and the lamb was co-dependent and that's why she followed Mary to school!! Haha!! I decided to make Mary a high school student with a cute fit and flare dress and petticoat, leggings, slouch sox and Doc Martin boots! I selected the local Menominee high school colors of maroon and gold for the color scheme of Mary's outfit. Locally anyone supporting the local high school wears a maroon "M" on the front of their dress/tee shirt etc. The "M" could also represent Mary's first name initial.

The lamb was created by me Googling lamb clip art since I didn't really know what a lamb looks like. For the fleece I used quilt batt-not "as white as snow" but I loved the fuzzy texture! I thread painted CoDA.org on the lamb's body to share about the national organization which helps people (lambs?!) with co-dependency.

I had fun stitching the details of Mary's garment especially the boot details.

Mary's face is very small at 1" wide by 1.5" tall. I cut tiny white batik eyes and a red mouth and fused them on the face. I used fabric markers, paint, colored pencils and thread painting to get the facial details. I embellished with glitter nail polish and fabric paint. The hair received some bronzy nail polish as high lights. It was challenging to get such detail on the small scale.

Mary's face is very small at 1" wide by 1.5" tall. I cut tiny white batik eyes and a red mouth and fused them on the face. I used fabric markers, paint, colored pencils and thread painting to get the facial details. I embellished with glitter nail polish and fabric paint. The hair received some bronzy nail polish as high lights. It was challenging to get such detail on the small scale.

The hand applique is also very small as well. I added a tiny red flower to represent a painted thumbnail-details, details!! The book bag batik fabric had a happy accident when the flower motif ended up in a perfect position on the bag! I couldn't have done that if I tried! The next challenge due September 30, 2017 is Steampunk. One of me favorite portrait quilts that I made in 2015 has a steam punk theme. This new quilt will be much smaller and it will have plenty of gears!  

The hand applique is also very small as well. I added a tiny red flower to represent a painted thumbnail-details, details!! The book bag batik fabric had a happy accident when the flower motif ended up in a perfect position on the bag! I couldn't have done that if I tried!

The next challenge due September 30, 2017 is Steampunk. One of me favorite portrait quilts that I made in 2015 has a steam punk theme. This new quilt will be much smaller and it will have plenty of gears!