Beehives and Bouffants

IMG_2766 (2).JPG

I have not posted in a while since I had a busy month of quilt classes, attending an area quilt show, prepping for my 4th visit to teach at the International Quilt Festival in Houston and actually traveling and attending the IQF Houston show. The stress of deadlines are over!! I started this little whimsical quilt before the Houston show and finished it after I returned home. It started with the outside border fabric which I found in September at Bungalow Quilt Shop of Ripon WI while I was attending the WI Quilt Expo. Since I am a hairdresser I am attracted to anything with hairstyles on it. I love the 1960s and retro big hair-think the movie "Hairspray" with Ricki Lake!!. I had originally planned to use colorful fabric markers and "color" in the hair motifs similar to a coloring book design. After trying a few hairstyles with the markers I didn't like it and decided to use the fabric as is and add color from the hair, lips and inner border fabrics.

I saw there were three different hairstyles in the border print and I drew them in the same size scale as my Whimsical Selfie Quilt pattern. I added a simple shift dress for each lady. I picked pink, yellow and orange for the hair to have fun colors to balance the neutrality of the border fabric. I gave the ladies crazy lipstick color as well. As I was working on this quilt I decided the hair needed some black bows a la the 1960s. I decided the yellow middle lady did not need a bow but added a subtle brooch idea to the lower neckline for balance

This was a fun easy enough project and I plan to turn it into a pattern. I will make another version with "normal" hair color and a lipstick outer border. I will need until early 2018 to design the pattern.

Whimsical Victory Rolls x Two

I love 40s hair especially victory rolls. I also love a Split Complementary Color Scheme of lime green, red and purple. These two ideas are on my favorite quilt "Victory Rolls" which is also my business card. 
I made these two 12" square quilts as auction quilts for two national charities-Studio Arts Quilt Associates and National Quilting Association. 
I used my original pattern Angelina, which I use in my Intro to Portrait Classes, and created a hairstyle with 1940s victory rolls. I used the leftover floral print from the original quilt for the dress fabric. The dress received a 1940s shoulder pad silhouette and a sweetheart neckline.
I did not use green skin because these are not for me and I thought they were more "auction-able" if they were traditional skin tones. I used the lime green in the binding.
 This hairstyle did not lead itself to an easy shape/silhouette like many of the others I have created that are in the pattern or the "bonus" hair my students receive when they take my class. I used a lighter purple fabric paint to add highlights to the pincurls and a dark purple paint for the insides of the curls to create depth. I accomplished this idea with the original quilt but with four values of fabric. These quilts were meant to be simpler so I painted the values which was fun and successful. 
I embellished with red rhinestones in the background, two colors of glitter nail polish on the eyes, red glitter nail polish on the mouth and a felt, wooden and plastic button for a flower hair accessory. I added a bit of cosmetic blush to the cheeks, chin and forehead for fun!

Time to mail them to their proper destinations!
Here is the original Victory Rolls Quilt which has won a few ribbons at quilt shows and was in the Sacred Threads Quilt Show in 2013 and their featured book "Sacred Threads Exhibition 2013."